Monday, August 16, 2021

Corrosion

Everything on Bonaire that is metal eventually corrodes.  It must be the salt sea air. Plus the humidity plays a role in the "rust-belt" look.  nothing is immune. The stainless steel sink has not yet shown signs of deterioration.

 We have 14-20 wall lights that look exactly like this one.  We think the lights are maybe 2-3 years old.  They look like they have been here for eons.

 

We purchased a gas grill about four months ago.  It was new and shiny.  Now rust marks cover the surface.  When we had rented vacation homes on Bonaire, we always remarked about how old and rusty the grills looked.  Now we know why.

It used to bother me that everything was plastic, treated wood and glass.  Little did I know about the power of the sea and the corrosion that follows.


Painted surfaces are not immune.  This is the top of an air conditioner that has rust spots.

I always thought that people in the Caribbean just didn't care about their houses, cars and equipment.  I chalked it up to being poor and lazy.

I judged them not knowing that I would find myself in the same position.  I am not poor or lazy but I still have corrosion issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...