Thursday, December 2, 2021

Orchid Garden

This is how orchids grow in the Caribbean.  They cling to tree trunks. This one is connected to our mango tree. They bloom during and after rainy season.  Orchids don't need soil, they just latch on to a tree and start growing roots. Apparently, they also get moisture from the air...because I never watered them.

This one looks more like a spider plant than an orchid.  Once I work up my nerve, I will rip it off the mango tree and plant it in my orchid garden.


 

My orchid garden.  I took the orchids growing on several trees and put them all together on a palm tree.  Rick ran a drip line to them and they water from top to bottom...dripping from one pot to another.

These orchids are in pots nailed to a palm tree.  The pots are lined with palm bark.  The bark helps hold the moisture.

When I grew orchids in Denver, they were green and lush.  My new crop are hardy but raunchy.  They are sort-of-green, brown and yellow.  I started fertilizing them as I thought this may boost them into robust bloomers.

Hoping for this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...