Friday, July 14, 2023

Kayak Trauma

Kayaking always looks so peaceful, calm and fun.  That is why we reserved three kayaks for a nice paddle in the sea. We put on sunscreen, our hats, sunglasses, rash guard/sun shirts and water shoes . We were ready.

We took off from the dock and it seemed calm.  Rick and Donovan were paddling along and I was zigzagging (not on purpose but because of my poor skills) in the channel trying to keep up. I was enjoying looking at all the houses and boats along the way.  We reached the channel that opens to the sea.  The wind picked up and it became super hard to paddle and not get carried out to the sea by the current.

I met the boys as they turned around at the mouth of the channel that opens to the sea.  The wind was strong and they we paddling hard.  I got carried by the current and was heading out to sea.  Rick tried to save me but I was hysterical and exhausted and was no help in the rescue.

I finally made it to shore. I dragged the kayak up on the rocks and told Rick to come back and get me.  I sat on the shore with shaky legs and arms thinking that I could have been totally swept out to sea and I would not be able to paddle back. I was traumatized.

Rick and Donovan paddled back to the dock bucking a head wind the whole way. They were tired as well. Donovan claimed that Grandpa could keep up with him but I think they both struggled against the wind.

I saw a coast guard boat go by and I was mortified to think they came to rescue me. They passed by without stopping....thank God.

My rescue team showed up and loaded the kayak and me in the back of the car. 

 



Donovan sat in the back holding the kayak named "Frenzy" (seemed appropriately named). The kayak hung out of the back of the car by about 1 foot.  One big bump would have sent it flying out the back taking Donovan with it. 

Our big adventures with kayaks has not been what we had envisioned.  Our first kayak trip in the mangroves found Donovan frustrated with the oars getting caught in the trees and roots. Our second attempt almost sent Grandma out the sea. We are all exhausted and our muscles are sore.

We have sworn off kayaking...it just isn't our sport.


3 comments:

  1. Omg…glad you all are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds scary as hell. I’m glad you all are safe and sound ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...