Thursday, October 12, 2023

Candy

I have discovered Dutch candy that is similar to candy I liked in the States. I know, I know I shouldn't eat candy but I do.

I really love peach rings that I got in the States.  I haven't found them on the island but I recently discovered cherry flavored jelly candy at the grocery store.  They are made in cute cherry doubles with stems. The flavor is great...very tart cherry dusted in sugar. 


I always loved heart shaped candy that was sold on Valentines Day.  You know, the chalky hearts that say silly things on them.  I found a replacement in October on Bonaire.  Vruchen Hartjes is translated to: fruit (flavored) hearts.  I am always amazed when I can find similar products of the things I like on the island.

 

However, the sweet words on the hearts are in Dutch...I had to translate them:

Prima: fine, magnificent
Zoen : kiss
Ooeo: OOOOO
Fijn: fine, nice, beautiful
Engel: angel
NEE:  no
Leuk: nice, jolly
Snoes: sweetie
Pret: fun


Our favorite sushi place gives out Colombian caramel candy when you pay the bill.  I always liked this gesture because it wasn't peppermint (which is not my favorite) that all the other restaurants give away.  One of my friends found the very same candy at a Chinese market called Tong Fong.  

Just to summarize...a Japanese sushi place gives away Colombian candy sold at a Chinese market on a Dutch island.


1 comment:

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...