Saturday, December 2, 2023

Christmas Market

We visited the Tera Cora Christmas Market.  It's open only two evenings.  It was full of booths selling handmade Christmas ornaments, decorations, lotions and potions, food and drink. There were stage acts, singers, dancing and musical groups that entertained the crowd.

Oliebollen, a Dutch doughnut, were begin sold and so we had to have a few of them.  They went great with the beers we purchased at the bar.

Since I had recently downsized my Christmas collection, I was in no hurry to build it up again.  However, I did buy a plastic star for our tree. I thought it would work but it was too heavy. 





Sinterklaas arrived by boat and came on the island a few weeks ago.  He and his Petes attended the market and, as always, were a delight to the children and me as well. Although he looks like a Catholic Bishop he is the equivalent to the American Santa Claus.  He brings with him, his Black Petes.  


The Petes dance and sing and throw candy to the crowds gathered to see them. The traditional story about the Black Petes is that they take the bad children away to Spain at Christmas time.  I imagine that's enough to scare any Dutch child into obedience.  I, on the other hand, would love to be taken to Spain at Christmas time.

The Petes are covered from head to toe with pitch black makeup and wear brightly colored costumes and wigs. They are a very lively and happy group.


The selfie today is me and a Pete.  Yes I look dumbfounded but it was only me trying to figure out the phone camera.  I was just so excited to get a close up with a Pete!

3 comments:

  1. Poor little tree, just too tired to hold up that star. Love the picture of you and a Pete! Maybe she'll whisk you away to Spain since I know you have been naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see all the Christmas stuff you have and found there. I'm not sure I understand how a plastic star could be that heavy, but obviously it is.
    I love your selfie especially the look on your face :-) (Patty)

    ReplyDelete

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...