Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Small Appliances

Small appliances talk to each other.  They decide to go on strike at the same time.  It happens in threes.

I have purchased three coffee makers since we have been on the island.  Each has stopped working after a short usage.  I have purchased different brands and different sizes, all with the same results. This time I purchased a coffee maker with a 220 plug.  The other makers had 110 plugs.  As we now know the 110 on Bonaire is not a reliable power source. 

Rick was using the food processor and a loud pop followed by smoke and a burning smell indicated that the appliance was gone.  This was an appliance we brought from the States.  It was plugged into a 110 outlet.  Okay, it was an older appliance and bound to stop working at some point.  I think it was talking to the coffee maker. 


 


We purchased a new food processor.  We specifically purchased one with a 220 plug.  Since the appliances on the island that are for purchase come from China, they have plugs that are made for Chinese electrical power....whatever that is?  This appliance requires an adapter to be used.  Off to the electrical store to purchase an adapter so that our newly purchased appliance would work with 220 volts. Buying an appliance and bringing it home to use is never a straightforward process.


Today, the vacuum cleaner I inherited with the house, decided to stop working. I am sure it was talking to the coffee maker and the food processor. Actually, it would turn on but would not turn off. It had seen better days and was missing parts and had suction issues. It was the last straw. I purchased a new vacuum that uses 220.  

It is our contention that 110 is not good for small appliances, no matter where they come from.  We decided to purchase appliances that are from Europe (or China) that have 220 plugs. The appliances can talk all they want...in 220 volts.


2 comments:

  1. I hate it when my appliance breaks, especially the coffee maker. Luckily I have an old carafe that I can use that has a cone shaped plastic filter holder (where I put the filter) that I put on top of it and pour boiling water over to make coffee. I'd be a complete grump if I didn't get my coffee. The other appliances I can hold off till I get one

    ReplyDelete

Solar Part 1

We have been talking about installing solar power on the house for long time.  The other night the power went off and we used a battery oper...